Meet our Group Editor-in-Chief Ash Long.
He is committed to high editorial standards in all publications produced by Local Media Pty Ltd.
• Grand Superintendent of Communications (Honorary). June 2020-
• Chairman, Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team (Honorary). April 2020-
• Editor, FV News (Honorary). Webmaster, www.FVNews.com.au. April 2020-
• Member, Freemasons Future Recovery Team. COVID recovery. 2020-2022.
• Conferred with the Grand Rank of Past Grand Tyler. 2015. Later promoted to Past Grand Standard Bearer.
• Ambassador, Royal Freemasons Homes. 2013-
• Secretary (Honorary), Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. 2013-. Assistant Secretary (Honorary). 2006-2013.
• Member, Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. 1978-. Webmaster.
• Organiser for the Rev. Peter Holloway Ivanhoe Grammarians Masonic Lodge Scholarship.
• Organiser for the Ivanhoe Grammarians Masonic Bursaries to students-in-need in the municipalities of Banyule, Nillumbik, Whittlesea and Murrindindi.
• Collector (Honorary). Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal – Freemasons Victoria Taskforce/Uncle Bob’s.
• Awarded as Paul Harris Fellow (1993).
• Chairman (Honorary), District 9790 Public Relations Committee. 1993-1994.
• Editor (Honorary), District Governor’s Newsletter (9790). 1993-1994.
• Member. Rotary Club of Rosanna. Bulletin Editor. 1999-2001.
• President, Secretary, Charter Member, Bulletin Editor. Rotary Club of Yea. 1985-1994.
Yea and District Memorial Hospital
• Member (Honorary), Fundraising Committee, Accident and Emergency Department. Late 1980s.
• Member (Honorary), Fundraising Committee. 1978-1980.
The Phoenix Community Newspaper
• Editor (Honorary) of free community newspaper for the Victorian bushfire recovery and reconstruction region community. 2009-2011.
• As proprietor, donated more than $1.3 million worth of advertising to local businesses affected by the Black Saturday fires.
Australian Suburban Newspapers Association
• National Judge for annual awards, by invitation on multiple occasions, early 2000s.
• Member, National Marketing and Promotions Committee. 1980-1983.
Yea Development Committee
• Member (Honorary). Late 1980s-Early 1990s.
Preston and Reservoir Chamber of Commerce and Industry
• President (Honorary). 1980-1983.
Bayswater Chamber of Commerce and Industry
• President (Honorary). 1978-1980
Local Media Pty Ltd
(ABN 67 096 680 063)
• Managing Director and Company Secretary. 2001-
Melbourne Press Network
• Chairman. 2020-. Network of local weekly community newspapers in the following 30+ Victorian local government areas: Banyule, Bayside, Boroondara, Brimbank, Cardinia, Casey, Darebin, Frankston, Glen Eira, Greater Dandenong, Hobsons Bay, Hume, Kingston, Knox, Manningham, Mansfield, Maribyrnong, Maroondah, Melbourne, Monash, Moonee Valley, Moreland, Mornington Peninsula, Murrindindi, Nillumbik, Port Phillip, Stonnington, Strathbogie, Whitehorse, Whittlesea, Yarra, Yarra Ranges.
• Editor/Publisher. Statewide weekly newspaper. Incorporating Footy Week, Melbourne Seniors News, Melbourne Trader, Victorian Rural News. 2002-
The Local Paper
• Editor/Publisher. Weekly community newspaper group. Incorporating Local People, The New Free Press, The Phoenix. 2016-
• Publisher. Media Flash Daily. Australia’s first online industry ‘newspaper’. 1999-2005.
• Producer, TV programs: Mansfield’s Melbourne (Optus Local Vision, Channel 31 Melbourne and Geelong), The Sydney Report (Channel 31 Sydney), The Brisbane Report (Briz 31), The Adelaide Report (Channel 6), Night Owl Theatre (Channel 31), Mansfield’s Memories (Optus Local Vision). 1997-2002.
• Commentator. 3AW Nightline (1997-1999) and Overnighters (2005-2011).
• Publisher, Mansfield’s Melbourne and Nightline magazines (3AW). 1997-1999.
• Publisher, The Advertiser newspaper group. Titles including Diamond Valley Advertiser, Whittlesea Advertiser, Kinglake Advertiser, Yea Advertiser, Yarra Valley Advertiser, Seymour Chronicle, Broadford-Kilmore Independent 1995-1999.
• Publisher (as six-month consultancy), Canberra Weekly newspaper (Text Media). 112,000 circulation. 1995
• Production Editor, Upper Yarra Mail. 1994-1995.
• Publisher, Long Family Newspapers Pty Ltd. Yea Chronicle, Kinglake Chronicle, Whittlesea Chrinicle, Nagambie Chronicle, Seymour Chronicle, Broadford Chronicle, Kilmore Chronicle, Yea-Kinglake Tourist. 1984-1993.
• Publisher, Victorian Media Corporation. Video News, Sunday Advertiser, News Pix-Weekender, Croydon City News, Ringwood City News, Valley Voice (Lilydale, Yarra Valley), Waverley City News, The Clarion, Avoca Mail, Yea Chronicle. 1983-1985.
• Regional Manager. Leader Newspapers. Northcote Leader, Preston Post-Times, Whittlesea Post, Brunswick Sentinel, Coburg Courier, Diamond Valley News, Heidelberger, Doncaster-Templestowe News. Previously Group Classified Advertising Manager, and Manager of Knox-Sherbrooke News, Knox and Mountain District Free Press, Bayswater News. Group Sales Promotion Manager of above titles and also Box Hill Gazette, Nunawading Gazette, Ringwood-Croydon Mail, Lillydale and Yarra Valley Express, Waverley Gazette, Progress Press and Chadstone Progress, associated also with Essendon Gazette, Broadmeadows Observer, Keilor Messenger and Regional News (Sunbury, Melton, Romsey, Lancefield). 1978-1983.
• Promotions Manager, Bayswater Village Shopping Centre. 1978.
• Manager, O’Hehir Nominees Pty Ltd. Self-Serve Service Stations: Shell Fairfield Superwash, Shell Preston, Shell High Hill (Kew), Total Ivanhoe, Total East Doncaster, Total Blackburn. 1976-1978.
• Production Team. Maxwell Newton Publications. Sunday Observer, Midweek Observer, Observer TV, Punter, Newton Comics (Marvel). 1971-1977.
• Journalist, and previously Editorial Contributor. Leader Newspapers. 1972-1976.
• Distribution Team. Sunday Observer (Gordon Barton), Sunday Review (later Nation Review), Sunday News, Sunday Sport, Footy Week, Rolling Stone, The Digger. 1969-1971.
University of Melbourne
• Commerce and Economics. 1975-1977. Subjects including Accounting, Business Organisation, Economic Geography, Economics, Politics. Did not complete Degree course.
• Editorial Team, Farrago newspaper, University of Melbourne. ‘Media notes’ column syndicated also to Rabelais (La Trobe University), Lot’s Wife (Monash University), Catalyst (RMIT) and Honi Soit (Sydney).
La Trobe University
• Media – Video Production. 1975.
Ivanhoe Grammar School
• School Captain/Head Prefect. 1974.
• Elected House Captain. 1974
• Winner, State and Federal Government Scholarships.
• Editor, The Ivanarian and The IGS Spectator.
• Equal Dux, Ivanhoe Grammar Junior School. 1968.
Reservoir East State School
• Prep.-Grade 5. 1962-1967.
Hobbies and Past-Times
• Founder/Administrator of the ‘Australian Radio’ Facebook group. 3000+ members.
Freemasons Victoria Chat
• Founder/Administrator of the ‘Freemasons Victoria Chat’ Facebook group. 800+ members.
Long.com.au and AshLong.com.au
• Family and personal history websites.
Old Ivanhoe Grammarians
• Life Member. Former Council Member. Former Editor of Hoe newsletter. Former contributor to The Ridgeway magazine.
• Donor. ‘The Ash Long Prize for Leadership’ (annual award for School Captains, Plenty Campus).
• Long-time member of The Survivors group of TV, radio, media and performing industry club.
Author of Books
• 3AW Nightlines.
• Buckley’s Hope.
• Chronicle of a Century.
• Good Guys and Godbotherers.
• Long Shots.
• Nothing Without Labour.